Sunday, August 2, 2015

An Increasingly Daunting Task

I am exhausted. I can hardly function. My legs are sore, and my ankles ache. I ran a measly 3.5 hours yesterday, and it was pretty slow (though I forced myself to pick up the pace for some of the miles and probably should not have done so) and it was on virtually flat terrain, mostly on the Chessie Nature Trail. Next Saturday I will run about 33 miles up and down mountains. The more achy and tired I feel, the tighter my muscles feel, the more I wonder whether I will survive, let alone finish. I have been tapering since my 6.5 hour run a little over a week ago, but I feel more exhausted than ever, more beat up than I did after that run. Doubt is the runner's worst enemy. If I don't mentally prepare well for this herculean effort, I fear I will bonk long before the final aid station. I wish I had been running more in training, working harder, doing more hill work outs, losing more weight (I am still caring 20 pounds more than when I was rocking triathlons a few years ago). Add to that stress job issues and a new semester just over three weeks away, and I am a wreck. Just breathe. Just. Breathe. Ya feel me?

Hm. I am not sure what this blog post intended to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment